In Harm’s Way: Law Enforcement Suicide and Prevention
The DCJS Virginia Center for School and Campus Safety is pleased to offer five opportunities to attend “In Harm’s Way: Law Enforcement Suicide and Prevention.”
According to Blue H.E.L.P., in the year 2019, 229 law enforcement officers died as a result of suicide. This figure is higher than the number of officers who were killed in the line of duty. This course will serve to further the conversation of officer wellness. Officers who attend this course will be able to understand the stress, pressures and culture in law enforcement that can lead to suicidal ideation. They will be able to identify behaviors and communication that should not be ignored. This course will stress the importance of establishing department policy, protocol and procedures.
Topics to be addressed
- Introduction to Suicide Awareness
- Suicide Statistics and Interventions
- Suicide in Law Enforcement
- Law Enforcement Culture
- Transforming Public Safety
- The Realities of Depression and Alcohol
- Warning Signs
Who should attend?
This training is intended for sworn law enforcement officers.
Partial In-service Credit
Partial In-service Credit (PIC) for Virginia law enforcement officers will be available.
Travel, Lodging and Meals
Participants are responsible for their transportation, lodging and meal arrangements and expenses.
Training Time and Details
- Check in will begin at 7:45 a.m. and course will be held from 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m
Cost and Registration
There is no cost to attend this training. Pre-registration is required.
- Please note that the DCJS registration system does not have the capacity to sort eligible from ineligible registrants. Therefore, anyone who registers will receive a confirmation. It is the responsibility of the DCJS assigned course director to review the roster and make a final determination on acceptance into the course. Registrants not accepted will be notified via the email address provided during registration.
PLEASE NOTE: DCJS is preparing and planning to continue holding training sessions and conferences after a resumption of normal activities. Every effort will be made to hold this scheduled training, however, due to the uncertainty of the progression of the COVID-19, this training may require rescheduling. You will be notified by email if this training is rescheduled. We appreciate your flexibility and understanding.