Basic SWAT School
Basic SWAT School
The Southwest Virginia Criminal Justice Training Academy will be conducting a Basic SWAT School from October 3 – October 11, 2022. This school will be taught by experienced SWAT Operators from our member agencies who will address various tactical training topics in our region.
This class will focus on the basic understanding of SWAT operations to include:
- Liability Issues
- Intelligence Gathering / Operational Planning
- Mechanical Breaching
- Tactical Combat Casualty Care
- Use and Deployment of Distraction Devices / Chemical Munitions
- Building Clearing
- Outdoor Operations
- Combatives Training
- Rapid Deployment / Rapid Rescue
- Barricaded Persons
- Execution of High-Risk Warrants
- Vehicle Assaults
- Force on Force Scenarios
All normal tactical equipment including:
- BDU or other similar tactical uniform
- Body Armor
- Gas Mask
- Nomex Gloves for flashbang deployments
- Eye and Ear protection
- Hat with a brim
- Pistol and 600 rounds
- Rifle and 600 rounds
- 1 flashbang per attendee.
(If you have any questions regarding the required equipment, contact the academy to discuss options).
All participants must attend and successfully complete the physical fitness requirements and firearms qualification courses to be accepted into the school.
Physical Fitness Assessments and Firearms Pre-quals to be held on Thursday, September 29th, 2022 starting at 1:00 pm at the academy. After completing the physical fitness assessments, the officers will travel to the Firearms Range for weapons qualifications.
Physical Fitness Requirements
- 1.5 mile run in under 15:00
- 35 pushups in 1 minute
- 37 sit-ups in 1 minute
Firearms Pre-qual Requirements
- 85% or higher on 50 round Pistol Course
- 85% or higher on 60 round Patrol Rifle Course
This course is intended for officers who are currently assigned to a tactical team or for agencies without a team to give their officers an opportunity for advanced tactical training. Please note, this is not a marksmanship school. All attendees are expected to be proficient in their shooting and gun handing skills.
- The registration fee will include all chemical munitions, additional distraction devices and simunitions to be used by the attendee during the training.
- The training will consist of 12-hour days and will run from 10:00 am – 10:00 pm each day. (72 hours total)
- The training will be conducted at various training sites throughout the area to include Bristol, Smyth, Washington and Wise Counties.
- $100.00 per officer for members
- $700.00 per officer for non-members